What strikes me about the photos is the visual reminder of things I already knew about my Dad and his family. De-Da's obsession with cars started very early, and so many of his photos situated his family in front of or next to his car. Me-Ma, let's face it, was quite a catch! She would say De-Da was quite the catch too, (tall handsome sailor in uniform type) however, Me-Ma was very photogenic. I like that she didn't look stoic in most photos, like De-Da did. She has a very genuine look. I love seeing the fashionable clothes she wore, and always the red lipstick, how fabulous! Dad and Uncle Jack were quite a duo I'm sure... I'm going to post a few of my favorites now, then will definitely have to share more later!
OMG it's so tough not to post all of these! Trying to limit...
Ok - this might be my favorite - I like how Me-Ma's shadow is in it, and De-Da is actually smiling in this one.

Here's a good Me-Ma series -
In this first one, she's leaning over the crib, looking in on Uncle Jack. I think that was De-Da's crib when he was little too. I just remember it being in the mountain house for a long time and we would sometimes play in it.

I'm imagining Me-Ma thinking, "seriously, Bill? In my high heels on an icy street holding the wiggly kid? So you can take another photo of your car?"

I'm not quite sure I've got the whole story on this photo. I like to imagine what she's thinking is "Get that stupid camera out of my face, I'm busy chopping whatever it is" BUT what if it's not? Hmmm Anyways I like the look of it.

7 comments:
Mom, wearing high heels in the ice and snow, is holding me. I can tell it's me by the bruise on the forehead. I think they used to drop me a lot. Dad says I kept a perpetual bruise because I was top heavy but I'm starting to rethink the whole issue based on this photo. It could have been Jack pushing me down. I'm not clumsy, really...
BTW it was a rad 1951 Dodge Coronet Convertible. I'd love to be able to find one like it today.
top heavy LOL - euphemism for you got a big ole head??
My fave is Me-Ma leaning over the crib. I wonder which house that pic of De-Da was taken in front of. My he had a head of hair, didn;t he? It looks like a piece! a knife yielding me-ma....shiver...what a formidable thought. These pics are awesome. What is the site that Jerry is actually posting these to?
ha ha ha sorry...i meant wielding not yielding...i can't type today.
Nikki, if you give me your email address, ill send you the link to dad's smugmug acct. my email is cara@riveralliance.org
Nikki, that house still stands in P'cola. Deda took me by there a few years back.
Jerry, haha I KNEW IT! I saw that pic and thought, that looks like Navy Point...crazy. i love looking at these. Amy-I hope you're feeling better!
Post a Comment