However, there are parts of the paper that have come in and out of favor with my sensibilities over the years. I had an approximate 5 yr ban on the Letters to the Editor, for example. Although I have lifted the ban on letters to the editor, I keep the ban on ALL of the opinion columns - I don't care which side the columnists are on - I'm generally and genuinely disinterested. I boycotted the sports section altogether, until our local paper made that 50% of the Monday paper. That's right, on Mondays, Section A is real news, Section B is sports, comics, classifieds, Opinion and Dear Abby. But I digress.
Today I found a real gem in our letters to the editor, which will keep me a devoted reader of this part of the paper for years to come...
Where can we turn for wildlife problems?
Rock Hill is the worst city to live in. You pay taxes, and if you call for any type of assistance, no one is responsible for that resource or they are not available!
I live in the city limits. We had an opossum on our front porch, called animal control, no answer to their phone number. Called the Rock Hill Police Department, and was referred to wildlife authorities. They said they don't take care of this type of wildlife.
Ok, so who takes care of this type of wildlife? Called the police back to try and get some help! Spent over an hour on the phone, have a 78-year-old mother who has to leave through this door and use a handicapped ramp to exit my home. This was all told to the police.
No one was interested in my plight until I threatened to take a .22 rifle outside and shoot the animal myself! The Rock Hill police were at my home within 30 minutes of that phone call!
My husband finally beat the animal to death!
Where are our tax dollars going?
Shirley Steiniger
Rock Hill
I guess that possum missed the city limits sign when he was out foraging in the grand metropolis!! Give me a freakin break - what were the cops supposed to do? But I'm most thankful they did show up when she threatened to step out with a rifle!! Hmm, gives me an idea for my own Letter to the Editor... Something along the lines of "Thank you cops for discouraging crazy lady from venturing outdoors in the dark and trying to shoot a 22 at something that she can't even successfully shoo off her porch!" Next stop, google, to find out whether I need to worry about errant bullets from Shirley's gun! Who feels sorry for Shirley's husband?? Not the possum, ha!

2 comments:
i feel sorry for the poor animal. i think a broom would have worked just as well as a rifle. why the H did they beat it to death?! Maybe they are the type that would enjoy it at dinner?!
We have a possum that shows up on our back deck once every week or so. I'm always like "look hun - Mr. Possum is back!" (Sometimes I say aww, but that's before the lights come on and his eyes turn red) And not like "get a bat and hit that thing!" As soon as you open the door, it runs off anyway. I swear this lady is missing a link.
Post a Comment