(You should read this post even if you are Northern OR possibly Floridian and happen to think that boiled peanuts are slimy and heinous.)
Yesterday I was taking a bunch of cardboard to the recycling center when I passed the peanut stand that is often set up at an old gas station on Mt. Gallant. By the time I'd made it all the way to the center, I'd rummaged all through my giant purse and my frantic search produced $1.20..... ugh not good enough! I looked again before I got back in the road, with no improvement to the cash situation. I hoped maybe they would sell me just a teeny bag, and I knew I would come across desperate! (cmon, just a taste! just a little something to hold me over!)
When I pulled up, a little boy in camo came up to greet me. He was like Hi! And I was like HI!! Do you have boiled peanuts? And he was like "I don't know. I'll ask my Dad." I saw his dad stirring the pot so I knew, sweet Baby Jesus, the answer was yes.
So how much of a troll did I feel like asking him if he had anything smaller than the $2 bag? They didn't so I told him, no bother, I'll just go to the bank. He was like "Oh no you won't. You'll take this bag." I put up an appropriate amount of argument, then gave in, because dude was sincere. He said "This is my gift to you. God Bless." I came thisclose to hugging peanut dude. We were standing kinda close and I had that amazed wide eyed look thinking to myself "is this really happening?!" I started to lean in, but thought better of it. I just gave him a silly grin and drove off, eating peanuts all the way to my next stop, Goodwill.
Those peanuts were the bomb!! So warm, not too salty, just juicy peanut perfection. So it got me thinking, and believe me, I put a lot of thought into this next question - Did he do it to be nice, or to get me hooked on his product?
Either way, I'm totally going to double pay next time I go by.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Bring some for Thanksgiving...
Amen dad!
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I bet he has a day job. (Thus not available for peanut purchase Mon - Wed.) Why do I think he has a dayjob? Because he sure as shoot aint makin a living on free boiled peanuts!
Post a Comment