Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Get zippy with it??

Sometimes there are special places in the universe where unusual events occur, strange concentrations of things. Maybe like black holes, or quicksand. Well I had forgotten about this one workplace concentration we have until today, when the strangeness took a hold of my office.

Lots of people I work with are proud alumni of the University of Akron. My boss, the guy in the other office next to mine, and my favorite coworker Rick. (Rick hates when I bring this up, but he's the same age as my dad, yet we don't seem to annoy him too badly. Plus now I think he's starting to like Project Runway)<--- total blog lie. Although one time I convinced him to watch the reality show where they picked a new frontman for INXS. And he watched Pimp my Ride one time. On the redeeming side, he does like LOST and I heart LOST big time!

Do you know what the mascot of the Univ. of Akron is?? A kangaroo. Do you know what their team name is?? The ZIPS

ZIPS. ZIPS! ZIPS? Come on, that doesn't even make sense. Zips and kangaroos don't make sense, plus when you think of kangaroos, don't you think of the sweet ones from Winnie the Pooh or the funny boxing kangaroo from Looney Tunes?

One of the shirts they hung in my office has this on it:


Then they hung lots of obnoxious signs all over my formerly minimalist workspace and I feel like I'm being shouted at by a cross-looking kangaroo. And they changed my nameplate outside the door to say Amy McZippy. Aaaaaaaargh.

I'm going to learn just enough photoshop to make their stupid jpg file say "F the Roo"

O yeah, so why is everyone so roo-riffic today? The dumbA zips beat the mighty Winthrop Eagles at basketball last night. Meh.

2 comments:

nikki webb said...

i think i had a pair of shoes in th early 80s that were called Zips and the Ad Image was also a kangaroo. If i remember correctly the connection was that there was a zippered pocket on the shoe...
storagepocket+zipper=kangaroo+zips

maybe the creators were proud Akron grads....

Amy said...

I forgot about those!

Proud Akron grads, strange lot!