Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ok, Griswold!

I (ok it was mostly Richie) TOTALLY put up some brightly colored Christmas lights outside our house. First time ever! And a little cutout snowman set with twinkling lights also went up outside, courtesy of my sister, who has the strangest assortment of things to give me each time I visit.

After the deed was done, Richie told me, while shaking his head and kinda smirking, "I never thought I'd have Christmas lights outside of my house." I feel him on that. I was the same way until last year, when I saw how much Lauren was digging on peoples' decorations. So this year, when Cara tried to destash some decorations on me, I was like why the hell not?

But as we drove around our neighborhood later, I was comparing our light display to some of our neighbors', and I felt kinda deficient. I asked Richie if we could get a few more things. His response - a very emphatic "Ok, Griswold!" (Ok, meaning, NO, of course :)

My dad was / probably still is / a big fan of Christmas Vacation and Chevy Chase in general. I think the reason I was hatin on Christmas lights until this point was the result of a few painful teenage years of the practically florescent chasing lights winding up and down the posts in front of our house at Christmas time. I swore my dad turned them on whenever he knew my friends were coming over. I was so hurt - they were incredibly garish. He thought they were great, and I knew it was National Lampoon's fault. I think Richie's family did the same thing to him.

So - we'll keep it marginally tasteful, and keep it delightful for Lauren. Once she starts to be embarassed by them, well we'll have to see then how much I have become like my Dad.

4 comments:

nikki webb said...

my dad still laughs at that movie like its the first time he's ever seen it. brothers...

"Halleluia Holy Sh%t!" (Clark) might be his favorite quote.

Mine would have to be "SQUIRREL!" (Grandpa Griswold)

Yours??

Amy said...

Not a quote - but the scene that sticks with me is the cat chewing on the Christmas tree lights. Hilarity ensues... OMG I just checked out this link of great quotes from the movie. I can't stop laughing. I'm putting on my netflix queue and moving it to the top!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097958/quotes

Merry Christmas - Sh%tter was full!

Geezer on Patrol said...

Eddie: I don't know if I oughta go sailin' down no hill with nothin' between the ground and my brains but a piece of government plastic.

Clark: Do you really think it matters, Eddie?

Ian Stewart said...

"Honey, did you check our shitters?"

And Aunt Bethany: "Is your house on fire, Clark?? Don't throw me down, Clark."

Classic! That entire movie is a quote.