Thursday, October 16, 2008

awesomeness

I won some tickets to today's pre-season Bobcats game vs. the Magic (10:30 AM tipoff) so I took the day off from work and took Lauren on a tour of my favorite things of Charlotte. (Thanks Charlotte Observer for the tickets! I'm sorry I ever canceled you. Wait, no I'm not, because I won the tickets anyway. YAY!!)

So first Lauren and I hit up the Observer building to pick up our tickets and parking pass. It was pretty cool there because there was a big picture window in the lobby which overlooked some ginormous printing presses in action. It was like taking a tour without having to wear the earplugs or yellow hats. Score!

Then we drove around uptown a few times, courtesy of one-way streets and construction sitauations, before finding our specific subterranean parking deck (which makes it harder to find, incidentally). Then we walked over to Bobcats Arena. It was a sight to behold, mainly because they didn't sell tickets to today's game. Instead, they gave them to middle schools to give to some of their students. So there were about 6,000 preteens there. It was fun to watch. I hated middle school. Most of the kids snapped out of their moodiness, though, and started a "wave" that was the best I've seen at any sporting event. It was cohesive, well-timed, and long lasting. The second level participated perfectly along with the first. It went around and around and around until even I got tired of raising my arms - and I like the wave, so that's a lot of waving that went on. Lauren did really well at the game - I'm glad her first Bobcats game was a low-key one in nice club-level seats with a clean and nearby bathroom with no line! Oh, and I'm glad it was a free one, cuz I would be slightly irritated if I paid for tickets and she wanted to leave mid-3rd quarter! But she was pretty entertained by it, and clapped when she should, and enjoyed her popcorn, and did great for those 3 quarters.




Then I took Lauren for her first Light-rail experience. The Charlotte Lynx - or light-rail, is like a nice clean bright above-ground subway. Aboveway? That sounds better than light-rail. Are you supposed to hyphenate it? Idk, but Lauren sure enjoyed it! She could not keep her butt in her seat. I had to tell her that the sign in front of us said "You have to sit down or you will get kicked off the train and then you'll have to walk 8 miles back to your car." Some of the other passengers thought that was funny - I was just thinking about how long I have left to lie about what signs say.



Then we visited my most favorite Charlotte establishment, Phat Burrito. Phat Burrito is no Moe's, Qdoba, Salsarita's or any other lame poser-burrito establishment. Phat Burrito is its own phenomenon of grown up, tattooed employees and comic book decoupage and put your quirky business cards under the glass on the tables and paint the whole place yellow and blue, and hang art from real starving artists on the walls and be situated in the cool part of town. Plus they have THE BEST burritos. Guess what makes the burritos even better? Their small but incredible dessert selection of 1)brownies and 2)rice krispie treats. I had a bean burrito and a rice krispie treat and the combination was ... sublime.

That wrapped up our perfect-weather tour of the Best of Charlotte Amy-style (BOCAS). Then Lauren took a nap when we got home and I got to watch the Project Runway finale (yessssssssssss) and Law and Order SVU. How perfect! Hope your day didn't suck!

2 comments:

nikki webb said...

what sport were you watching? i couldn't figure it out from the pics and i've never heard of either team. that many middle-schoolers....shudder....

Amy said...

NBA!! Charlotte Bobcats vs. Orlando Magic - it was lots of fun