
Today is Blog Action Day, which takes place each year, when thousands of bloggers post on the same subject. This year's subject is poverty, which is admittedly something difficult for most of us to sound intelligent about. Do you know anyone who is truly poor? Do you know anyone who is homeless? How about someone who has turned to a food bank to feed their families? I don't.
I see two ways out of poverty, be it in America or abroad. I believe that to improve peoples' lives, you need to improve their economy and their education. But those two are mostly linked - either one can come first.
I was struck by the hardships of poor schools at my first CPA job, where our firm audited a couple of school districts. I saw a great disparity in funding because, historically in South Carolina, school district funding was primarily sourced in property taxes raised in that district. Little industry in that district leads to little jobs, little property ownership, little taxes, little school funding, little education. Then little education leads to a less marketable workforce, then little jobs, little property ownership, taxes, school funding, education - how can we possibly break this cycle? Create jobs and educate people.
If you're feeling philanthropic today, I suggest you check out kiva.org - yeah that's right - the banner to the left of your screen. It feels good to microfinance - trust me!

No comments:
Post a Comment