Sunday, October 05, 2008

De-Da and the big 8 4

De-Da turned 84 on the 3rd. Hot darn you all I reckon!! To celebrate, we planned a little sneaky surprise for him, and Richie and Lauren and I, Jeff and Ryan all drove up to Robbinsville NC to help him celebrate.

Side note - Robbinsville is hella far. It would be 4 hours from Charlotte OR Columbia, except that traveling with a 2.5 yo makes it 5 hours. I was most amused by Jeff's take on the distance at our last rest stop on the way up - he was parked next to us in the Taco Bell parking lot in Cherokee NC, leaning out his window saying "how far IS Robbinsville? Why aren't we there yet?" I asked him "Did you really not google it ever??" And he said no - if he hadn't timed it right to follow us up, he would have picked up a NC state map once he got to Asheville. I'm sure it was a combination of work stress, plus being cooped in his old truck with Ryan for 2.5 hours already, and some smelly Taco Bell and incessant talking from said little bro, that pushed him over the edge, when he exclaimed "I don't care WHO goes to Robbinsville - I'm not going ever again!" Here's Jeff, showing much restraint in not kicking Ryan's A++ after we finally arrived and settled in with a beer at the Phillips Motel:


So, awesome second benefit of the trip, besides De-Da (yay!) was that I also got to kick it with Uncle Jack (woohoo!) .

Here's a picture of us all, except for Jeff - sorry bro, but we didn't have the bright idea until after you left:



An extra Uncle Jack pic for the cousins:


I know Dad has a few more pics, but he won't be back until Wed, so I'll have to share those later.

I had a great time with y'all!

3 comments:

nikki webb said...

ella recognized poppi and wants to know why he went out to eat without her. There is one jealous redhead over here, and it ain't Ann!

Amy said...

Haha! Ella's got pinky power!

Betsy said...

Great pics! I had no idea any of this was going on. Looks like it was a blast though!