It's officially Thanksgiving - my most favorite day of the year. This one was different than all the other ones before - we already had Thanksgiving with Richie's family, and this year my family was split up visiting my grandma in Eastern NC and my grandparents and extended family in Pensacola. That left Richie and me to celebrate our last Thanksgiving before the baby comes. Yesterday we went to our last movie, so we've been working on a lot of lasts before our 'first' comes!
I decided we should still have a somewhat traditional T-giving dinner, so I went to the store this morning to get stuff for a few recipes. Then I realized the first thing I should be thankful for - that I'm not crazy like the lady in the Food Lion parking lot who was wearing a tank top and shorts. Also although the fried turkey cooking across the street smelled good, I was thankful that I wasn't stuck out in the driveway like my poor neighbor who was keeping an eye on it. (Fried anything smells good - I don't eat turkey.) Also I was thankful that I found a recipe I had set aside last year for candied sweet potato casserole - yep I made it from scratch and it was soooo good. It'll be even better tomorrow and the next day too! I also made mashed potatoes and vegetable casserole (just like it sounds - lots of vegetables) and mac & cheese. Yummy!! I made everything in normal T-giving size portions, so we'll have plenty of leftovers for a few days. I'm already excited for breakfast tomorrow!
Also we watched the Cowboys game this afternoon. That was a little tradition from all the T-givings I spent at Grandma's farmhouse in NC. I called my mom and bro to see how their trip there was going. They said they would come home Saturday unless the propane runs out tonight - that big old house gets CRAZY cold! I was laughing thinking about funny the tv set there is - since there's no cable anywhere around, the thing gets like 3 channels, depending on the angle of the rabbit ears and the placement of the aluminum foil on the ends.
Dad and my other bro called from Pensacola to let me talk to all of my family down there, and that was nice too. So I guess even though it wasn't a 'traditional' turkey day, I got all of my thanks and traditions in anyway. And a nap - it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it!
Thursday, November 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment